Hello HNA Members
My name is Ruperto Medina Jr. I am a retired telecommunication sales and service manager and I am seeking the office of board member of the Hermosa Neighborhood Association. I have observed and find that the Hermosa Neighborhood Association is an organization that I feel is on the right track on the needs of our community and I would like the opportunity to help the organization continue to grow as a vital part of our community.
During the first eight years of my carrier I was very involved during the infancy of Local School Councils (LSCs), serving on two different councils and represented our school district as a School Board Nominating Commissioner.
I have lived in the 31st Ward at 3048 N. Kostner Ave. for 32 years. I graduated from Kelvyn Park High School where I was a student council Vice President for two years. I then served in the U.S. Marine corps for four years.
I am extremely interested in communicating the needs of our community. Over the last two years I have been involved and interested in with the following:
- Petitioned Alderman Milly Santiago to address a community need.
- Attended a TIF (Tax Increment Financing) seminar. To gain insight on revenues available to offset the recent property tax increase in Chicago of 2016.
- Attended tax increase meetings with Aldermen from surrounding wards to encourage them to vote no on property tax increases.
- Participated in safety meetings with block club leaders to address safety concerns.
- Participated in positive loitering events in the 30th, 31st, 35th Wards where residents gather in problem areas to discourage criminal activities.
- Petitioned and obtained 108 signatures to encourage the police commander of the 25th district to meet with residents to address concerns in Belmont-Cragin area.
- Participated in Quality of Life meetings that addressed and surveyed community residence on changes that they would like to see in the future.
- Participated in PB (Participatory Budgeting Process) for the last two years. This is where residents provide suggestions and then vote on infrastructure projects to be implemented within the ward (funds of $1 million)
- Attended several Ward night meetings with Alderman Milly Santiago to address concerns in our community.
- Participated in the development of the Kelvyn Park Advisory Council.
- Participated in zoning meetings to address concerns with the mini-mall currently being constructed on Pulaski and Diversey and the zoning change for the Jimenez parking lot on Fullerton.
- Participated in many HNA neighborhood cleanups, tree planting and numerous meetings.
My goals with being on the HNA Board of Directors include:
- To continue to point out the needs of our community.
- To bridge the north side of Hermosa to the existing established audience of the Hermosa Neighborhood Association, which currently mostly resides in central and western Hermosa.
- To support the efforts of the HNA and its members and drive change for the betterment of our neighbors and community.
Rupert Medina Jr.